Wednesday, November 29, 2006

My Dad

I took this picture when my dad was here visiting in April. He drove alone for 12 hours from Louisiana to be here for Belle's birthday.

This may not seem like a huge deal for most, but for my dad it was. About 5 years ago he was in a motorcycle accident. The left side of his body was mangled badly. I remember him describing his leg to me, as if I needed to know. He said it looked like ground beef laying on the table mixed with gravel and grass. Of course, it had to be amputated. He was in the hospital for months and a couple of years later he finally started getting accustomed to life on one leg. Now he gets around well, as well as any other one legged person, I suppose.

Something like that would break anyone's spirit, but for my dad, I think it healed his. I'm sure it was a combination of getting older and being faced with death a few times (he's had a couple of heart attacks as well.) But this picture is a perfect example of the difference in my dad. It would take me entirely too long to explain 18 years of living with my father and the last 10 years of our relationship. So, I'll just tell you a little bit about who he is now.

He absolutely loves his grandchildren. In the picture, he's actually watching the kids play at the party, while I take shots of him next to my cat's butt. ::giggle:: Anyway, he loves my kids so much that he'll drive anywhere in the country, on his social security income, just to spend a few days with them. He realizes the mistakes he made as a father and doesn't hesitate letting me know he wishes he could change it. To quote him:
I am sorry for a lot of bad choices that I made . Mainly because they affected the people I LOVE the most .
Even though I know he can't change any of it, the fact that he would makes it all seem to be a part of someone else's memories. He's a really hard worker. Growing up, he always seemed to be in and out of jobs, but now he'll work on his bleeding nub without complaint.

I don't ever remember being proud of my father as a child. But I'm so very proud of him now.

*Update: I found this and just had to post it. It's of me and my dad. I think I was about 5.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I guess that's what counts the most.

Sock Girl said...

Beautiful post!

Cheri said...

That is a beautiful story about your Dad. He is a sweet man, I am glad I had a chance to get to know him a little when he was here.