Thursday, February 09, 2006

Quasimodo look alike?

People sometimes stare at me like I'm from another planet. I spent the morning leisurely running errands. Got some coffee at the local coffee shop, where the lady behind the counter was in deep thought while looking at my face. I doubt it was my striking beauty. It could have possibly been a booger hanging out of my nose, but you'd think she would have been kind enough to say so.

I proceed to point B, the college. I wanted to speak with a few of the colleges dept chairs about possibly changing my major. What's new, I'm always thinking about changing my major, because frankly we all know Chemistry just isn't my forte. But it's getting serious now. I've taken all the core classes I can possibly take. It's time for me to decide.

Well, I call the English dept., she's with a student but will be available for the next hour for a walk in. So, I get out of my car and enter the building 5 minutes later. I stand outside the office a few moments waiting for them to return. The dept chair and her secretary casually pass me by with no recognition whatsoever that I'm standing in the doorway. Let's recap, at the coffee shop I was mesmerizing, and here I'm invisible. A happy medium is all I'm striving for today.

I explain to the secretary why I'm there and inform her that I don't need much time, just a couple of questions. She asks Dr. so and so if she could see me and Dr. so and so let out a huge sigh and says, "I guess so." Well, excuse me for paying your salary. I'll come back when you don't have as much paper to push around on your desk. TOODLES!

I proceed to destination C, the car wash. I have two kids and my relatively new car has something that resembles green eggs and ham smeared on the seat and windows. I wanted to make an appointment, get prices for a detailed 'bleaching' and be on my way. As I enter the building and approach the counter, I notice a man leaning as far back in his chair as he possibly could trying to see around the counter to get a good look at me. Well, he got a good look, because when I noticed him, he was frozen in that position, grinning and chose not to move until I stopped and gave him a disapproving look. Apparently, this man, thought I was mesmerizing too. I beleive that men of the African American persuasion find me very interesting. Could be my new bra.

Needless to say, this morning has been a strange one. People are definitely amusing. It's only 10:30 in the morning, maybe I should call it quits and stay in for the rest of the day. I would hate for my incessant charm to produce a spark in the universe that would alter everyone into behaving like they just stepped out of a musical.

No comments: